Saturday, March 26, 2011

Angenett Taft Walking In Love Installation Artist

I first met Angenett Taft nearly ten years ago when I walked into the Quilt Show at the Trinity County Fair. To tell the truth I did not meet her but a quilt she had hanging. I had never seen someone use fabric to create a scene. Here was a shaft of sunlight piercing through a gorgeous old growth forest and it was all done in fiber. I fell in love with the work and the artist. Imagine my delight when a few weeks later I found myself in a Shasta College class for training Emergency Medical Technicians and there were Angenett and Jim Taft. I went up and introduced myself and perhaps scared them with my gushing about her quilt. All these years later and the Tafts have become dear friends. I have Angenett to thank for leading the way for me in her inventive use of design. Angenett taught me to use the long arm machine for quilting, inspiring me to try new ways to lay down thread. This is what Angenett Taft has to say about Walking In Love:

Our theme, "Walking in Love" continuously drove me back to the question, "Am I walking in love right now, these days, while I work on the panels and face many obstacles in doing them and in situations in my daily life?"  So often I stopped myself to re-group, to re-calibrate toward the theme.  I believe this refocusing had a profound positive impact on my panels and more so on my daily living.

I hope one day Angenett will share more of her story. She has been in the midst of a life altering course and is a role model to me for the grace with which she and Jim are navigating change.

No comments:

Post a Comment